Welcome to the Plumis fire protection blog. Stay informed about domestic fire safety, fire building regulations and ADB-compliant solutions for open plan living. Please feel free to browse through the posts and comment about what you read.

Friday, 17 August 2012

Creating desirable open-plan kitchen-diners that meet fire building regulations

Open plan living is a trend that is here to stay, with an increasing number of homeowners using this type of layout to make their homes feel larger and brighter. Gone are the days of a poky kitchen and separate formal dining room. Now, you are likely to find large family spaces in the form of modern kitchen-diners. These spaces add value to your abode and make it not only a better place for you to live but also an easier home to sell when it comes to putting it on the market.

Most kitchen-diners are at the back of the house, opening out on to the garden. This makes perfect sense: a kitchen-diner is nothing if not an exercise in lifestyle, and what could be more pleasant than flinging open the back door and bringing the outside in? In many homes, that back door is fully glazed, being one side of the streamlined glass box that is the popular kitchen-diner extension. But remember, under the latest building regulations new glazing panels must comprise less than 22.5 per cent of a property's floor area.

You might think your current home is in no way suited to the idea of open-plan living, but in fact it could be that by knocking down a wall or two you have the ideal space. Plumis produces novel solutions in domestic active fire protection to meet building regulations. Intended as a more affordable and easy to install alternative to sprinklers, Automist is a fire protection innovation which provides developers with design freedom and flexibility for open plan spaces. It uses water mist technology fed from a standard mains supply to, suppress and control fire, and utilises much less water than a traditional sprinkler system. 

Automist is normally used in one of the following ways:

- To compensate for part of the escape route from a property passing through a living area, or being open to a living area.

This is normally needed:

a) After a two storey house receives a loft conversion but retains an open plan ground floor
b) In open-plan flats at 2nd floor level or higher
c) In open-plan accommodation where escape windows cannot be provided.

Or even

- To compensate for missing fire doors that would have protected communal areas, for example where a flat lacks an internal fire lobby or protected hallway

- In small studio flats where the kitchen is located next to the exit.

Why not call an Accredited Reseller Installer to have a look at your property and work out exactly how an open-plan space could be formed?

No comments:

Post a comment